Digital Credentials Protocols (DCP) Working Group - Overview
The goal of the Digital Credentials Protocols (DCP) working group is to develop OpenID specifications for the Issuer-Holder-Verifier-Model use-cases to enable issuance and presentations of the Digital Credentials of any format (W3C VCs, IETF SD-JWT VCs, ISO/IEC 18013-5, etc.) and pseudonymous authentication from the End-User to the Verifier.
What is the Digital Credentials Protocols (DCP) Working Group?
In the Issuer-Holder-Verifier Model, Issuers issue Digital Credentials to the Holder’s Wallet, which the End-User can then use to present the Digital Credentials to the Verifiers. Digital Credentials are cryptographically signed statements about a Subject, typically the Wallet Holder. Verifiers can check the authenticity of the data in the Digital Credentials and optionally enforce Key Binding, Biometrics Binding and/or Claim-based Binding i.e., ask the Wallet to prove that it is the intended Holder of the Digital Credential.
The goal of this WG is to develop OpenID specifications for the Issuer-Holder-Verifier-Model use-cases to enable issuance and presentations of the Digital Credentials of any format (IETF SD-JWTl, ISO/IEC 18013-5, etc.) and pseudonymous authentication from the End-User to the Verifier.
These specifications are aimed at enabling End-Users to gain more control, privacy, and portability over their identity information; cheaper, faster, and more secure identity verification, when transforming physical credentials into digital ones using digital credentials; and a universal approach to handle identification, authentication, and authorization in digital and physical space.
The work is planned to be done in liaison with the European Commission, Decentralized Identity Foundation (DIF), the European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI), and ISO/IEC SC17 WG4 and WG10, which have expressed interest in profiling specifications proposed to be worked on in this WG. There is also a liaison with the OpenWallet Foundation (OWF), to foster implementation of the standards developed by this WG.
- European Digital Identity Architecture and Reference Framework lists OID4VCI, OID4VP and SIOPv2 as required for certain use-cases
- 18 wallets in European Commission EBSI project support OID4VCI and OID4VP specifications (as of 2023/04/05).
– Conformant wallets – EBSI – (europa.eu)
- DIF JWT VC Presentation Profile uses OID4VP as the base protocol for the request and verification of W3C JWT VCs, and uses SIOPv2 for user authentication.
- NIST National Cybersecurity Center of Excellence plans to implement reference implementation for OID4VP to present mdocs/mDL
– Landing page
– Project description (draft)
- The following draft ISO standards reference
– draft ISO/IEC TS 23220-4 profiles OID4VP to present mdocs
– draft ISO/IEC TS 18013-7 profiles OID4VP to present mDLs (mobile driving licence)
– draft ISO/IEC TS 23220-3 profiles OID4VCI to issue mdocs
Note that the three Technical Specifications mentioned above are not final, are subject to change, and are not public yet.
Working Group Chairs
- Kristina Yasuda (Microsoft)
- Torsten Lodderstedt
The chairs can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org
To monitor progress and connect with working group members, join the mailing list.
- Atlantic 1 call: Bi-weekly Thursday Call @ 2pm UTC
- Atlantic 2 call: Bi-weekly Thursday Call @ 3pm UTC
- Zoom software is available on Mac, PC, iPhone, and Android Phone.
- Join Meeting
- Meeting Minutes