OpenID for Verifiable Credentials - Overview
What is OpenID for Verifiable Credentials
The OpenID for Verifiable Credentials work is a product of the OpenID Connect Working Group. The whitepaper OpenID for Verifiable Credentials describes the work and its motivations.
Even though abbreviated as ‘OID4VC’, ‘OID4VCI’ and ‘OID4VP’ for brevity when typing, it is pronounced as ‘OpenID for VC’, ‘OpenID for VCI’ and ‘OpenID for VP’.
OpenID for Verifiable Credentials consists of three specifications:
- OpenID for Verifiable Credential Issuance – Defines an API and corresponding OAuth-based authorization mechanisms for issuance of Verifiable Credentials (Editors’ Draft) (Working Group Draft)
- OpenID for Verifiable Presentations – Defines a mechanism on top of OAuth 2.0 to allow presentation of claims in the form of Verifiable Credentials as part of the protocol flow (Editors’ Draft) (Working Group Draft) (Implementer’s Draft)
- Self-Issued OpenID Provider v2 – Enables End-Users to use OpenID Providers (OPs) that they control (Editors’ Draft) (Working Group Draft) (Implementer’s Draft)
- European Digital Identity Architecture and Reference Frameworklists OID4VCI, OID4VP and SIOPv2 as required for certain use-cases
- 18 wallets in European Commission EBSI project support OID4VCI and OID4VP specifications (as of 2023/04/05).
– Conformant wallets – EBSI – (europa.eu)
- DIF JWT VC Presentation Profileuses OID4VP as the base protocol for the request and verification of W3C JWT VCs, and uses SIOPv2 for user authentication.
- NIST National Cybersecurity Center of Excellence plans to implement reference implementation for OID4VP to present mdocs/mDL
– Landing page
– Project description (draft)
- The following draft ISO standards reference
– draft ISO/IEC TS 23220-4 profiles OID4VP to present mdocs
– draft ISO/IEC TS 18013-7 profiles OID4VP to present mDLs (mobile driving licence)
– draft ISO/IEC TS 23220-3 profiles OID4VCI to issue mdocs
Note that the three Technical Specifications mentioned above are not final, are subject to change, and are not public yet.