[OpenID] Finalizing OpenID Authentication 2.0 and OpenID Attribute Exchange

David Recordon drecordon at sixapart.com
Sat Dec 1 12:39:26 PST 2007

Hey all,

While its certainly been a long process in the making, it seems that
we're now in a position to declare OpenID Authentication 2.0 and OpenID
Attribute Exchange as final specifications. Both have evolved through
extensive community participation and feedback and each are stable as
Implementor Drafts for a number of months now. Both specifications are
already shipping in some libraries and products including Google's
Blogger (via Sxip's library) and Drupal who did their own implementation
of the specification and multiple OpenID Providers with support for both
of these specifications as well. Additionally the following libraries
exist which implement OpenID Authentication 1.1 and 2.0, OpenID Attribute
Exchange, and OpenID Simple Registration 1.0:

 - http://code.sxip.com/openid4java/ - Java OpenID library from Sxip
 - http://code.google.com/p/joid/ - Java OpenID library from Verisign
 - http://framework.zend.com/fisheye/browse/Zend_Framework/trunk/library/Zend/OpenId
 - http://OpenIDEnabled.com/ - PHP, Python, and Ruby libraries

As part of the IPR work over the past few months we've begun collecting
non-assertion agreements from contributors to both of these
specifications. These agreements are a way for contributors (and others)
to these specifications to formally declare that they will not assert
any patent rights against OpenID implementations. The majority of them
are in and the goal is to have any remaining in by the Internet Identity
Workshop this coming Monday through Wednesday. When this happens we'll
be creating a page on OpenID.net so that everyone can find the various
agreements as well as copies of them that have been signed.

As soon as all of the non-assertion agreements are in, I very strongly
"+1" making these two specifications final to be announced at IIW this
coming week.

Cool? Cool!

--David