The OpenID Foundation is seeking an Executive Director with the experience, skills, strategic vision, and commitment to advancing the Foundation’s open standards initiatives. This is a unique opportunity to lead a well-respected, member-driven, vendor-neutral, international standardization organization.
The OpenID Foundation Executive Director (ED) reports directly to the Foundation’s Board of Directors and interacts extensively with the entire Board, Foundation contractors, Foundation members, and other organizations and individuals advancing open digital identity and open payments initiatives worldwide. The Executive Director has general oversight and executive management responsibilities for the business of the OpenID Foundation, with a strong emphasis on evolving the strategic mission of the organization and its international outreach and growth. The ED represents the OpenID Foundation in the international arena, is an advocate for open standards and adoption, and develops new business opportunities to extend the breadth and depth the OpenID Foundation’s contributions to useful open standards worldwide.
- Advance the adoption of open standards-based secure digital identity and payment systems worldwide.
- Provide strategic vision to develop, update, and execute the OpenID Foundation’s strategic plans.
- Establish, grow, and maintain global liaisons with members, other standards bodies, industry groups, governments, and other strategic standards and ecosystem contributors.
- Work with the Foundation’s Board of Directors and community participants to provide a high-quality environment to facilitate the development and adoption of the Foundation’s specifications and initiatives.
- Drive new business opportunities by expanding OpenID Foundation activities relative to the standardization life cycle, including certification. Identify and advance new revenue opportunities for the organization consistent with its open standards mission.
- Drive new membership growth worldwide while maintaining high satisfaction among the organization’s current members.
- Ensure that the OpenID Foundation is well represented and influential at strategic industry meetings and events by demonstrably meeting the needs of the industry.
- Ensure that the OpenID Foundation is sensitive to the challenges of working across many countries and cultures.
- Work closely with the Foundation’s board and staff on overall organization operations, including the development and management of the yearly budget. This includes developing and reporting metrics assessing organizational and operational health.
The ideal candidate is transparent with high integrity leadership and should have 5+ years Executive Director/CEO/CIO/COO/VP/executive management experience and demonstrated experience with and knowledge of open standards development and adoption. An ideal candidate will have direct experience with technology standards bodies and will be a recognized contributor/leader in open standards, with experience supporting a Board of Directors. While the OpenID Foundation is based in the United States with its primary working language being English, candidates living in other countries with knowledge of other languages and/or experience of working in other countries and multinational organizations will be strongly considered.
Additionally, strong business and communication skills, demonstrated experience in delivering keynote presentations at conferences, and the ability to serve as the OpenID Foundation spokesperson globally are required. Experience working with non-profit and volunteer organizations is a plus. Recognition as a leader in the international open standards community is strongly preferred.
A primary goal of the OpenID Foundation’s Board of Directors in this leadership transition is to encourage and identify as diverse a group of applicants for the Executive Director position as possible.
To Apply or Recommend Candidates:
Those interested in the position should send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org and include a Curriculum Vitae (CV). Suggestions for people to approach about the position are also welcomed there.