Using email address as OpenID identifier

Paul E. Jones paulej at packetizer.com
Tue Apr 1 21:52:34 PDT 2008

Brad,

Your point about DNS limitations is valid.  Then again, anybody who will be offering the open identity server is likely going to have control over their DNS.  Still, I’m not opposed to alternatives.

But, since you brought up the fact that one can enter yahoo.com and get redirected, I checked and, indeed, several OpenID sites already accept the e-mail ID as a form of identification—and I can get redirected to either Yahoo or MyOpenID.com.  So, do some of the libraries already check for e-mail address forms?  It seems that perhaps they do!

Paul