[OpenID] Problems with delegation and directed identity OPs

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Sat Nov 8 00:05:11 PST 2008

This seems similar to what happened with clavid.com. When I tested their
OP, they would accept OpenID 2.0 requests but always respond with 1.1

The upshot of this was that the OpenID 1.1 responses didn't include
openid.claimed_id because that argument didn't exist in OpenID 1.1, so
things broke.

There is scope for a careless OP to break delegation by failing to pass
through openid.claimed_id as given. This was a concern I had when we
added that argument in OpenID 2.0; in 1.1, it was the RP's
responsibility to figure out how to maintain that state, and so some RPs
did it by adding stuff to openid.return_to in the request and others
maintained state at the RP server, but either way it was opaque to the
OP and passed through correctly unless the OP did something really bizarre.

I wonder if it would be a good idea to revert to the previous approaches
for maintaining the delegation state at the RP, since clearly a faulty
OP can break delegation with 2.0 as currently specified. I'm concerned
that as we currently stand some 2.0-compatible libraries will be
preserving this state in a 1.1-compatible way and thus will work
correctly with Google's OP, while others will be relying on
openid.claimed_id and break. I know that Net;:OpenID::Consumer for Perl
relies on openid.claimed_id in 2.0 mode, but if that differs from
everyone else's implementations I would consider making it do it the 1.1
way in all cases in order to be resiliant to broken OPs.