[OpenID] Recycling OpenIDs (Was: What's broken in OpenID 2.0? (IIW session))

Dick Hardt dick at sxip.com
Thu May 10 21:28:43 PDT 2007

I've been reflecting on this and I wonder if recycling OpenIDs is a
*good* thing.

I understand the incentive for sites with large user bases to be able
to recycle names.

An OpenID is much more then just a means of proving it is me again at
a website. An OpenID is a URI that is globally unique and that sites
can and *will* attach reputation to. It is also human readable, so
when I see the same OpenID at numerous sites, I expect it to refer to
the same entity. We expect the URI to be consistent over time and space.

Any special treatment such as unique fragment must be preserved as
part of the URL wherever it is used and displayed otherwise there
will be confusion as to who the OpenID refers. I think that once a
URL has been handed out to a user, it is permanent.

Perhaps I am missing something, but I don't see how OpenIDs can be
safely recycled even if there is some mechanism for an RP to know it
is different. We should just make them different.

-- Dick