[OpenID] OpenID Registration Scenario

Peter Williams pwilliams at rapattoni.com
Wed Jul 11 20:56:20 PDT 2007

Ill advise the openid community Not to set its goals so low as to equate openid as that which one should associate with those sites that today do email auth (as proof of ID control).

A decade ago , netscape+verisign issued over 1million consumers with ID credentials (ssl client certs also capable of signing netscape email). Only proof of control over an email account was required.

This did Not engender adoption of client certs, contrary perhaps to intuition.