XRDS vs. DNS level identity (was RE: [PROPOSAL] Handle "http://user at example.com" Style Identifiers)

Drummond Reed drummond.reed at cordance.net
Wed Nov 8 16:41:57 PST 2006

Phillip,

Please don't shoot me -- I am just the messenger -- but a year-long effort
(Yadis) went into the design and deployment of XRDS documents as the
discovery infrastructure for OpenID.

There are numerous reasons for this, but they boil down to this: the XRDS
layer of identity is rooted at a higher layer than that of DNS. Users don't
just have DNS names in OpenID; they have URLs or XRIs. Those URLs or XRIs
resolve to XRDS documents, which perform mapping of URLs/XRIs to
URI-identified service endpoints. These service endpoint URIs in turn map
down to services resolvable at the DNS layer (which then of course map down
to machine addresses at the IP layer).

I fully understand that you "have seen so many attempts to reinvent it" (the
DNS). OpenID and URL/XRI-based identity is not an attempt to reinvent it. It
is the emergence of identity infrastructure at a higher layer designed to
take advantage of the abstractions available at that layer, including:

* URI and XRI syntax (much richer than DNS)
* HTTP and HTTPS protocols for discovery
* Extensible, XML-encoded resource description metadata
* Mapping of reassignable and persistent identifiers for persistent identity
* Discovery of typed service endpoints

I know you know my personal bias (anyone who would push the XRI boulder this
long uphill has got to have a few screws loose), but at this point it seems
like trying to push the XRDS layer back down into DNS would be like trying
to put the genie back in the bottle.

=Drummond